Wednesday, January 28, 2009

1/27/09 - Tough Day

Tuesday was a tough day! Alyssa went to her first dialysis in the out-patient area at Unity Hospital. Where her apheresis treatments are done in a private room, the dialysis is now done in a very large room with a minimum of 40 other patients all going through dialysis. Alyssa is by far their youngest patient. If I had to guess, I'd say that the average age of the other patients was around 70 and most are dealing with long term diseases that were very evident in both their physical and mental appearances. Many are in the end stages of their lives. I can't imagine a more depressing place for a young adult to be spending 12 hours per week. What must Alyssa be thinking...is this my future? How did I get to this point?

After waiting for a while in the waiting room, I couldn't bear to watch anymore. I ended up sitting in the car with tears streaming down my cheeks wondering how anyone, much less my 21 daughter should have to go through something like this. Two weeks ago we were arguing with her about cleaning-up her room and trying to keep her and her two younger brothers from fighting. My how things can change so fast!

While we're thankful that she has the dialysis and apheresis machines to help fight this battle, we can't help but wonder...why?

By the way - Alyssa didn't say anything negative about her experience.
dd

1 comment:

  1. It certainly does put everything in perspective! Jill has damaged the car not once, but twice since you started this "journey". While it's frustrating, I am so grateful she was not injured.

    Thanks for sharing, I hope that it is cathartic, you certainly need an outlet. Please know that your efforts are a lifeline for all of us that love you all.

    ReplyDelete