Saturday, January 24, 2009

1/26/09 - Home Sweet Home!

After spending the day attached to dialysis and apheresis machines, Alyssa had her hospital sentence "commuted" and was sent home at 9:00 pm. She will continue with both dialysis and apheresis treatments, three days each per week, but they will now be done on an outpatient basis.

Why the sudden change? Other than a myriad of prescriptions, Alyssa's therapy is down to dialysis and apheresis treatments which don't require hospitalization. Plus her medical team believes that being at home will give her an emotional lift. We wish that we could report a change in her kidney function, but that will just have to wait for a future report. We're just thrilled to have her back home after 11 long days.

We know we are still at the beginning of what could be a long journey, but we're optimistic that better days are in Alyssa's future.

Next update will probably be on Monday. Thanks for your support!
dd

1 comment:

  1. Alyssa-
    Hello my dear, it is Jocelyn Henning (Remillard) MS, PA-C (Internal Medicine) aka Alyssa's babysitter for a good 5+ years and neigbor. First off im so glad to hear you are going home and 2nd of all I have been thinking and praying for you since my mom has given me the news. Being in the medicial world and working on an inpatient medical team in a hospital this is in ways familiar, but yet so new to me as well. HUS- I have read and stuided about but have never seen in my 4 yrs of working as a PA. I have seen some cases of TTP but never in someone this age. As soon as my mom told me HUS- I said E coli but I see her cultures are negative...and I will talk to my hematoligst (blood Dr) @ my hospital and see if he has seen this in someone this age, and ? birth control pills as a cause.
    Let me tell you are a fighter and you have a great support system to help you threw this. I am still in shock from when my mom called me to inform me of whats going on.
    Im glad to hear things are perking up and I hope you are feeling better. Im sure it has been a long journey, but hang in there kiddo.
    To Alyssa and Debbie and Dave, if you have ANY questions at all, pls contact me via e mail joce41982@yahoo.com or cell 585-314-2734 and I can do my best of answering any questions. In the mean time, our thoughts and prayers are with you Alyssa and family. God bless you and here is to a healthy recovery.

    Love- Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete